Monday, February 20, 2012

Vegan Cupcakes




Another reason to love the internet. When your kid has a playdate and you promise them that they can bake. However, the friend coming over is allergic to nuts and dairy and eggs. What is there to bake? How about some vegan cupcakes?

These were very easy to make and very tasty. The vanilla ones were from a recipe by Post Punk Kitchen. I like to use vanilla paste since I don't have any vanilla beans. It still gives flakes of bean in the cupcake without the cost of buying beans. Also, I used Soy milk instead of Almond milk (nut allergy!).

The chocolate cupcake recipe I got from Allrecipes.com. I used apple cider vinegar instead of plain vinegar.

After the playdate friend left, I made two different icings. A chocolate one for the vanilla cupcakes and a vanilla one for the chocolate cupcakes. Needless to say, there were no leftovers.

I adapted the icing recipes from Joy of Cooking:

Similar to their Quick White Icing:

Melt 4 tablespoons unsalted butter in a barely simmering double boiler. Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups of powdered sugar (2 1/2 if you are making the chocolate icing), 3 tablespoons milk and a nice dash of salt. Then put back on double boiler and cook 5 minutes. Stir now and then. Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat for a few minutes until cooled and the consistency of icing.

I made mine earlier in the day, let it sit covered on the counter and stirred it together well before icing cooled cupcakes.

No comments: